Chapter III – Washington, DC
Founded: March 1898
History: Our five founding members were Miss Ursula Boudinot, Mrs. Schuyler Crowninshield, Miss Susan Palfrey Lee, Mrs. James Lowndes, and Mrs. Edward McCauley.
Historic Preservation: The Colonial Dames of America, Chapter III were looking for an historic house in the District of Columbia to restore as their contribution to the nation’s Bicentennial celebration in 1976. Aided by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, their search led them to the Abner Cloud property, whose story dates back to the eighteenth century. The Abner Cloud House is the oldest original building along the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. It housed generations of millers who supplied flour first for the city of Georgetown on the Potomac, and later for its rapidly growing neighbor, the capital at Washington, D.C . This historic house was rescued from ruin by members of Chapter III who raised private funds and obtained a grant from Congress to initiate restoration of the property by the National Park Service. The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places August 9, 1979. Today the house is jointly maintained by Chapter III and the National Park Service in cooperation with the C & O Canal National Historical Park. It also serves as a public resource for research and education. Learn more about the Abner Cloud House.